In 2004 we had quite an exciting spring/summer. Between our two families we had 2 mission farewells, and 2 weddings. All in the space of 2 months. Well, here we are two years later and the missionaries are coming home. And another one will be leaving. So right now we're in the middle of three mission farewells and homecomings in the space of 5 weeks. Here my story begins with mission weekend #1.
We just returned this evening from Scott's parent's home. Randy returned from the Sacramento California Mission -- Cambodian speaking. It's such a cool experience to see a missionary come home. All the family anxiously awaiting the moment when he emerges from the plane. There weren't any balloons & banners for this occasion, but lots of hugs & smiles.
The Browns have been in missionary mode for the past 11 years. 4 boys = 4 missions. So now that era has come to an end.
So I'd love to give a synopsis of our weekend, but realizing it's been a long day and I'm in no condition to write in paragraphs or even full sentences, you're getting a list. Here are the highlights.
- 36 holes of golf for Scott
- Brian & Rachel (Scott's brother & sister-in-law) joined the party all weekend
- World of Warcraft was the gift Scott handed Randy when he got off the plane. They spent Friday morning installing it on Randy's new laptop, and then the gaming began.
- watching the base jumpers leap off the Perrine Bridge. Over the weekend one lady died, another was near death in the ICU after his parachute didn't open & he landed in the mud, and a couple others were also injured. Not a very smart hobby.
- Grammer spoiled the boys by playing game after game with them -- pop-up pirate, connect four, yahtzee, let's go fishing, buckaroo, penguin shuffle, don't break the ice. The adults also played some games: Loot, Pinochle, and practicing the proper grammar for Touch My Monkey (don't ask, it's a waaay inside joke).
- Anna looking "cherry cute" in her new Old Navy shirt. Just look at those fangs!
- A triple date on sat. night -- me & Scott, Brian & Rachel, Randy & a girl. Yes, we got him to ask a girl out. Went to see "The Da Vinci Code", then Churros at home.
- Scott & Brian sang "Quiet Grove" in sacrament meeting. They did a fantastic job.
- Conner made quite an impression in Primary. Standing out in the hall I could hear him singing "Scripture Power" above the rest of the group. After the 1st verse he said, "but we need to sing the second verse." When the song ended he exclaimed, "wow, I did a great job!" and had everyone laughing. Good thing his papa is the bishop.
- And trips to the park